Richard W. Clement
University of Chicago Press
The University of Chicago began its collection of medieval manuscripts in its very first years. (3) In 1891 William Rainey Harper, the university's first president, purchased the entire stock of a Berlin antiquarian book firm, Calvary and Company. By this single act, the university's small library was increased by over 90,000 volumes, of which fifty-three were medieval manuscripts, mostly dating from the fifteenth century . By 1912, as a result of the acquisition of the Hengstenberg, the Ide, and the American Bible Union collections, the university's medieval manuscripts numbered seventy-nine, composed mainly of theological works.
“Joseph Regenstein Library, University of Chicago ,” in “Resources for Scholars: Medieval Manuscripts in Two Illinois Libraries,” edited by Richard W. Clement. Library Quarterly 57 (1987): 61-69.