Utah is naturally an arid state with precipitation varying from 3.71 inches at Wendover, located in the vast desert region on the western border, to more than 40 inches on some of the mountain ranges. Desert and mountain areas and other untillable land combined total about 95 per cent of Utah's land area. The remaining 5 per cent constitutes all the land which will yield to cultivation either by irrigation or by dry-farming.
Durinog the 76 years that dry-farming has been practiced in Utah, many change in tillage practices, cropping systems, crops, and crop varieties have taken place in keeping with early experience, and later as experimental evidence coupled with experience directed. This progressive improvement has now resulted in a nearly complete standardization of crops and cropping methods. Wheat is the dominant crop on Utah dry-lands. Turkey wheat with its strains and related varieties was grown on 48 per cent of the total wheat area in 1924 including irrigated land. On the dry-lands, Turkey together with Kanred winter wheat produces more than 95 per cent. Cropping and tillage methods now consist of alternate crop and fallow, fall or early spring plowing, rigid weed control, and seeding of 5 to 6 pecks of clean treated seed to the acre on clay loams with somewhat less on sandy soils.
Bracken, A. F. and Stewart, George, "Bulletin No. 222 - A Quarter Century of Dry-Farm Experiments at Nephi, Utah" (1930). UAES Bulletins. Paper 184.