Since the material contained in the following report of the variety tests on the Southern Utah Experiment Farm was mainly accumulated under plans outlined before the farm was made part of the Utah Experiment Station, it may be well in this connection to give a brief history of its location, management, and a survey of its situation. It was established by an act of the State Legislature approved March 21, 1899, and the site was chosen the following July by a committee appointed by Governor Heber M. Wells. The area selected consists of forty acres located in the southeastern portion of the Washington field, about four miles southeast of St. George.
Ballantyne, A. B., "Bulletin No. 124 - Fruit Variety Tests on the Southern Utah Experiment Farm" (1913). UAES Bulletins. Paper 75.