Date of Award:
Master of Science (MS)
Animal, Dairy, and Veterinary Sciences
Department name when degree awarded
A. J. Morris
A. J. Morris
Paul B. Larsen
At the present time the Swiss cheese making process is a prolonged one requiring several operations and considerable space. The cheese is made in wheels weighing approximately 200 pounds and is covered by a thick rind. There is considerable waste in cutting these large wheels to fit the present merchandising methods.
The first reason for this problem was to attempt to reduce handling by adapting the manufacture of Swiss cheese to a cheddar procedure, and at the same time reduce waste by ripening the cheese in loaves of various sizes. If this were possible there would be a considerable reduction of labor and handling in the manufacturing of Swiss cheese, especially during the eye formation period.
The second phase of this problem deals with the use of hydrogen peroxide treated milk in the production of Swiss cheese in comparison with raw and pasteurized milk. Investigators have applied this treatment to market milk and cheddar cheese making with some success. The bacterial kill (35) (26) (33) with little affect upon the enzymes present indicated that it may be an excellent treatment in the making of Swiss cheese.
Lane (21) analyzing Swiss cheese for 13 factories in Northwestern Wisconsin for a period of thirteen months, found that 73 per cent of the cheese was either A, B, or C grade. The other 27 per cent was open Standard or Standard. This meant that of these 13 factories, 27 per cent of the cheese was of inferior grade, selling at a much reduced price.
If hydrogen peroxide could be used to improve the general quality of Swiss cheese, it would prove to be another tool for the industry. This, with the adoption of an easier make procedure using cheddar cheese facilities, was the underlying thought which provoked this problem.
Johnson, John Darold, "A Comparative Study of Raw, Pasteurized, and Hydrogen Peroxide Treated Milk in the Production of Swiss Cheese" (1952). All Graduate Theses and Dissertations. 4817.
Copyright for this work is retained by the student. If you have any questions regarding the inclusion of this work in the Digital Commons, please email us at .