Date of Award
Master of Science (MS)
Transcription is the ultimate goal of shorthand, according to Karaim, and mailable copy and rapid production are the primary aims of transcription. The ability to transcribe shorthand notes into usable printed form should be acquired before a stenographer has a marketable shorthand skill. Driska writes that "no matter how skillful the shorthand student may be in recording dictation, she is not properly fitted for work in an office unless she can transcribe her notes quickly and accurately."
Jester Writes that businessmen want transcripts which are correct in details of English mechanics, as well as being accurate transcripts of dictation. A shorthand skill is most valuable in an office situation when the person possessing the skill can transcribe shorthand notes quickly to result in mailable copy. Teachers of transcription need to be aware of what activities are involved in the transcription process so they can teach these activities to their students to enable the students to transcribe accurately and efficiently.
The coordination of shorthand, typewriting, English mechanics, and other necessary skills into an effective transcription pattern requires a knowledge of the factors involved in the transcription process. Jester time studied the transcription process and found that typewriting occupied only 38.1 per cent of the time involved in the transcription of mailable copy. The remaining 61.9 per cent of time was spent in nontyping activities. The results of Jester's survey lead to the question of whether or not business educators teach to future stenographers the skills actually needed for transcription. Karaim maintains that transcription must be taught and that the methods used to teach it "must take into consideration the development and coordination of all the knowledges and skills that enter into transcription."
McArthur, Susan, "An Investigation of Subject Matter Other than Shorthand and Typewriting Emphasized in the Teaching of Transcription Activities at the Utah Secondary Level" (1973). All Graduate Plan B and other Reports. 704.
Copyright for this work is retained by the student. If you have any questions regarding the inclusion of this work in the Digital Commons, please email us at .